Hotels and Accommodations:
Fall is a busy season in Austin, Texas (see "What's going on in Austin"),
and so hotel rates are not, in general, very forgiving for conference rates.
In an attempt to help you meet your budget, we have located the following options for you.
We hope you will find an option to meet your needs.
- The "conference hotel" is the Holiday Inn -- Town Lake, which has a free shuttle to UT; it's
downtown, directly on Town Lake's hike and bike trail, and with free shuttle service.
TO make your reservations,
click HERE. The
group code is CEU . The Reserve By date is 3 weeks prior to the conference --- Thursday, September 9 at midnight.
- If you are on the program, you may use the list-serv email address that you were provided
to send a message out to conference participants to see
if you can arrange a room share.
- If you are un/underemployed and/or a graduate student and would like us to find you
"flop space" (aka a couch or extra bed) during the conference,
most likely with a graduate student from UT, please send an email to
and indicate what you need. We'll be trying to make matches in September and should be able to accommodate you.
- There is a youth hostel in Austin, on transportation lines that can get you to UT.
It is set on Town Lake, with easy access to one of the nicest hike and bike trails in the state, about 4 miles from the university.
- For a list of hotels in all price ranges near campus, see Hotels near the UT campus
(note that distances are from the Thompson Conference Center on the NE corner of campus).
- The priciest (and not surprisingly the most convenient, given that it is 1.5 city blocks from the conference venues,
less than 5-minute walk) is the brand new on-campus hotel,
the AT&T Conference Center (see
http://www.meetattexas.com/hotel-information.html, which does not include information on the $2 airport
flyer bus from Capitol Metro). The reservations line is: 1-877-744-8822. Callers must request the UT rate,
which is currently quoted at $159.00 + 15% tax, or $182.85 a night.
That's a lot, but each room is new, and has two double queen beds or one king. Reservations are limited.
- There are a number of bed-and-breakfasts near campus, but bookings are very tight.
Try your luck at http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/austin-texas.html
at inns like The Mansion at Judge's Hill, Austin Folk House, Inn at Pearl Street, Adams House, Austin Hyde Park Inn, or others,
some within walking distance, others on the free shuttle bus system that UT runs.
Website established 1/7/2010; report problems to webmistress.
Getting To/From the Airport:
Driving from Austin Bergstrom International Airport
Texas Union and Mezes Hall near the Tower at the center of the University of Texas Campus.
See the Tower area map
and other UT maps.
- Possible UT internet use as
guest; most Austin coffeehouses
have free wireless access
- When leaving the airport, turn left (west) on Hwy 71 and stay in one of the two right lanes.
- Stay in one of the righthand lanes as they curve to the right onto the Bastrop Highway/US 183.
- Continue in the same lane as it crosses the bridge over the Colorado River and then follow it to the right onto Airport Blvd.
- Stay on Airport Blvd. until the intersection with MLK Street.
- Turn left onto MLK and proceed as in the directions from IH-35 below.
Getting Around Austin
Driving Directions to the Conference from IH-35
- Parking: Click here for a map
of regular and handicap accessible parking locations on the UT campus.
- Hotel Shuttle: Many Austin hotels provide free shuttle service within a 2-4 mile radius, so you may want to
inquire with your hotel about transportation options.
- Capital Metro Public Transportation: Use the Capital Metro Trip Planner
to find the best route.
Check particularly Dillo Routes from downtown (free jitney bus).
- UT Shuttle Service.
- Take the MLK exit and turn west at the light (= right turn for those
traveling south on IH-35; a left turn for those traveling north).
- Travel west 3 blocks on MLK St. to the Trinity Garage; turn left on San Jacinto Boulevard to enter the garage
(see UT main parking map for other alternatives).
- drive 7 blocks to the public garage at the high-rise Dobie Mall; turn right on Whitis Street for two blocks, until
you see the garage on your right.